First time making steamed buns! Recipe from Woks of Life.
Notes for next time:
- This was a really great steamed bun recipe, but it didn’t satisfy the intense sweet-salty craving I really wanted. I think next time I’ll buy salted egg yolks to try for the filling.
- No problem with kneading the dough by hand in the bowl until smooth.
- I was too lazy to actually portion out custard balls for the freezer, which was something I totally regretted. The filling got everywhereeeee and there was so much cleanup.
- Reheating was a breeze. If you’re looking for minimum effort, put a damp paper towel over the buns and heat for 1 minute.
- The search continues!
For the custard:
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup powdered sugar (also known as confectioner’s sugar or icing sugar)
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup wheat starch or cornstarch
- ¼ cup dried milk powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
For the dough:
- 1 teaspoon yeast (2 grams)
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1½ cups all purpose flour (235 grams)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons coconut milkomitted and replaced with nonfat milk, because the boy doesn’t like coconut
- 3 tablespoons milk, added 1 tablespoon at a time