Erin McDowell, you are a freaking genius.
Nothing was modified in this recipe for the rolls. They were perfect. I did, however, add cream cheese to the frosting because it would be blasphemy not to. Everything made by weight!
Makes about 1 dozen fat rolls
- For the dough:
- 22.00 ounces bread flour (4 1/2 cups)
- 3.50 ounces sugar (1/2 cup)
- 10 grams instant dry yeast (1 tablespoon)
- 15 grams kosher salt (1 tablespoon)
- 8.60 ounces eggs (cold from the refrigerator) (4 eggs plus 1 yolk)
- 7.70 ounces milk (cold from the refrigerator) (1 cup minus 2 tablespoons)
- 9.00 ounces soft unsalted butter, plus more for the pan (18 tablespoons
- 6.00 ounces unsalted butter, melted (12 tablespoons)
- 4 ounces brown sugar (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoons)
- 2 ounces granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Egg wash, for finishing
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese
Cinnamon rolls on the right.
Also, I’m sorry about the crappy after picture – it literally was inhaled within two seconds. Here’s proof.